Monday, March 10, 2014

Midway Ice Castles 2014

A few years ago we discovered the ice castles up in Midway, UT.  I was pregnant with Kai at the time and blissfully unaware that anything was amiss.  We went on a Saturday during the day, and oh my, was it beautiful.  Here is a link to that post: Ice Castles 2011.  We had planned on revisiting them again at night to see the lights on the ice, but time got away from us and then the craziness of Kai happened.

Last winter we went back up to Midway with Shin and Heather for a group date to see the ice castles--this time at night, but alas, they didn't have them.  Apparently it was either too warm a winter, or they only have them every couple of years or so.  I have heard both accounts.  Whatever the reason, we left disappointed not to see the ice castles.

When we found out that they were building them up this year, we knew we had to go--at night.  So, we assembled our crew: Shin and Heather, and Heather (HK) and Matt, and we had a group date.  Our plan had been to see the ice castles and then go swimming in the crater after, but it was a "touch" busier than anticipated (and by a touch, I mean a lot) so we didn't make it swimming.  Three years ago there wasn't even a line to get in.  It was cash only (if I remember right).  The castles were big and beautiful, but it wasn't really crowded.  Lots of people, but nothing compared to this year.

This year it took us 45 minutes to get in--and we were in the prepaid line (thank goodness for buying our tickets online), which was equivalent to the fast pass.  I don't even want to know what the wait time was for the other line.  They had ice Princesses, fire dancers, ice sculpting, and more.  There was even an ice skating rink put in adjacent to the ice castles.  I don't know how many of you have seen the Alex Boye video of "Let it Go," but it was done at the ice castles (see it HERE--Lexi Walker is amazing), as have several other videos that I have seen circulating around.

I am grateful that we went when we did, because two days later they closed early for the season due to the warm weather.  Even though we went fairly late in the evening, there was still a lot of the ice melting as we went through. 

Now for the main event!

DSC_1583
The Fire Show--visible while we were waiting to go inside

DSC_1588
Fire Dancers.  There were several but this lady was the best.  It was so fun to watch

DSC_1593
DSC_1594

Ice Carving, done three different ways
DSC05581
Blowtorch (this picture isn't the best, but it is a fish)

DSC05582
With a chisel

DSC05583
Chainsaw

Now for the Ice Castles:
DSC_1602
Going in!

DSC05634
Just to give you an aspect ratio on the size of the ice castles.  They are huge! 
DSC05639

DSC_1643
J and me

DSC_1634
J, me, Heather, Matt, Heather, Shin

DSC_1650
Shin is pretending to hold a scepter.  I am supposed to photoshop one in for him. :-)

DSC05600
J.  For some reason my flash wouldn't work.  I think it may have to to with the gloves I was wearing and didn't hit the button correctly for the flash.  The silhouette was kind of cool, though.
DSC05651

DSC05621
Looking up.  I think this was in the maze, but possibly in the slot canyon section.  The ice was melting and I got a big drop on my cheek just after I took this shot.  Matt was just ahead of me and got nailed in the eye.  Definitely worth it, though, for the view

DSC05618

DSC05601

DSC_1613

DSC05614


DSC05633



DSC_1642

DSC05631

DSC_1651

DSC05657

DSC05640

DSC05594

DSC05591

DSC05593


DSC05648

DSC_1658


DSC_1663 (1)
I didn't notice it at the time, but the bigger ice castle surrounding the little heart is also shaped like a heart.  I don't know how I missed it
DSC05596





DSC05663

DSC05661

DSC_1674

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews