Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sleeping on the Job

For the last month or so, Kai has been sleeping.  A lot.  He will fall asleep sometime just after eleven when the nurse gets here, and sleep until two or three in the afternoon.  If I wake him earlier (which I have been known to do) he will be really cranky and eventually fall asleep again.  One such day fell on his OT visit.

I woke him about 40 minutes before the appointment, giving him his 15 minute grumpy wake-up time.  He did really well for the first part of the appointment, but then he started getting fussy again.  One of his favorite things is to lie face-down on the exercise ball.  It is great because we can also get his therapy done while he calms down (and enjoys himself).  If only all therapy was that fun.

Well, he grew so relaxed that he fell asleep!  There was no waking him, even when we put him in his high chair (we wanted to do some oral feeding). 

DSC05755

2014-03-06 14.10.03

His signal for "time-out, I'm done" is to stick his arm over his eyes.  It helps to shut out the light and the extra stimuli that he doesn't want.  When we put him in the high chair, he was awake enough to stick his arm up, and every time he would start to drift off into a real sleep, his arm would droop and he would yank it back up over his eyes.  It was a hoot.  I got a video (not-posted) of it. 
2014-03-06 14.13.51
....and he finally went out.... He even stayed asleep when I put him back into his crib.
2014-03-06 14.18.15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews