Thursday, September 19, 2013

Yellowstone Day 2: Part 1

DSC_1251

We spent Friday night at Indian Creek campground inside Yellowstone.  Since our anniversary fell on the weekend before Labor Day this year, it wasn't "peak" season and we had our choice of campsites (most kids had already started school and it was right before the big holiday).  Therefore we chose one near the bathroom/port-o-potty, thinking it would help for my many nighttime trips to the bathroom.  Instead of tenting it, we decided to make it easy on ourselves and we took out the back seats of our Tahoe.  We laid down some padding and blankets. Voila! We had our bed made up.  In the morning we rolled it up, put our cooler back into the car (we stored our food overnight in the bear-proof storage containers provided), and we were on our way.

--A little tangent here.  We packed all our food for the weekend so we didn't have to worry about finding a restaurant or going back out of the park.  J went grocery shopping beforehand.  My idea of snacks: peaches, watermelon, grapes, and granola bars.  J's idea of snacks: chips, chex mix, and mm's.  Yep, that is the difference between men and women right there.  ;-)  Luckily we had a written grocery list.  

It was a good thing we slept in the Tahoe because it rained both nights and we didn't have to worry about our tent leaking or waking up wet.  The Tahoe also stayed a good temperature--not too hot, not too cold (even though it got pretty chilly outside).  I really enjoyed camping in the Tahoe, although it was rough because I resisted getting up to use the bathroom, so I tossed and turned until I just had to go.  If I remember right, I only got up twice that first night, but my sleep was more restless because of it.  If I hadn't been pregnant it would have been a blast.

DSC04630

We were up, breakfast made and eaten, camp "torn" down and on the road before 7:30 Saturday morning.  J was really excited for such an early start, and I was eager for the day ahead.  It was a little misty near the river as we were leaving the campground, which made for a gorgeous morning.

DSC_1248

We kept our eyes "peeled" for animals, and we really didn't need to look far.  We saw several bison wandering either on the road or just off the side of the road. 
DSC_1258
DSC04635
This bison was actually close enough that if I had extended my arm out the window, I would have been only inches away from touching him.  They are massive!  We were at eye level in our Tahoe, which is pretty high off the ground.  They are also pretty stinky.  
DSC_1268
A herd of bison just off the side of the road.

DSC_1253
We passed by Mammoth Springs.  I thought the steam rising from the mountain was really pretty.  We also saw a herd of cow elk grazing on some grass in the residential area by the restaurants.

As we were driving and keeping a lookout for animals, I saw a couple deer run into some trees across a meadow.  I was excited that I saw them because J has the "hunter's eye" as I call it, and he can spot animals that I wouldn't even know were there.  Not far ahead there was a turnout and a trail leading to a waterfall.  We decided to hike to the waterfall (giving us a chance to possibly spot the deer).

Not too far into our hike (about five minutes or so), we came across another couple who was returning from the waterfall.  They confirmed deer were ahead and that the waterfall was pretty but nothing spectacular.  Encouraged, we forged ahead.  Sure enough, we spotted a doe grazing just off the trail.  She didn't even move (other than to watch us) as we walked by. 
DSC_1260
We continued hiking to the waterfall, which really wasn't anything exciting at this time of the year, although I can only imagine how pretty it is in the spring.
DSC_1264
The view was certainly worth the hike.
DSC04644

Another morning detour was to see a petrified tree.  I was really disappointed that we spent the time to go look at it--it really looked like a regular tree stump
DSC04646

Our first planned stop of the day was at Tower Falls.  It took us longer to get there than expected because they were doing some road construction and had the road closed to one lane for both directions of traffic.  They had just started working when we got there (we were the lead car); if we had been less than five minutes earlier (and not stopped for the petrified tree), we wouldn't have had to wait the forty minutes for them to finish setting up and for them to let our side through (they let the other side go first).  Oh well, c'est la vie.
DSC_1271
As we were hiking down the trail to get a better view, J (who was slightly ahead), stopped mid-stride and pointed at something in the bushes not 25 feet from us.  "Look, it's a badger!" He said all excited.  Once I saw the animal, for it took me a few seconds because all we could see was its rump as it was digging deeply into a hole, I wasn't convinced it was a badger until it finally poked its head up from the ground.  J was really excited and carefully stepped on a rock to get a teensy bit closer for a picture.  Knowing how mean badgers can be, he was really careful not to do anything that might scare or provoke it.  As it was, the badger gave up on whatever was in the hole and sauntered away in the other direction, not giving us one bit of care.
DSC_1279
The badger made J's day.  He said the only thing that would be better would be to see a moose (which didn't happen).

Our next stop was at the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.  Breathtaking views!
A view of the canyon and the river
DSC_1286

DSC_1295
This nest of ospreys (pronounced os' pree, not os' prey as I was corrected), came from a giant rock formation that jutted out from the river and sat alone in the canyon, hundreds of feet in the air.  It is hard to see, but there are two ospreys in the nest. 

DSC04663

Upper Falls (the river from the top of the waterfall).  The force of the water was so strong that we could see the water shooting back up after it hit the bottom of the waterfall

DSC04685

The Falls


DSC04676
DSC04677

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews