Monday, March 12, 2012

A Weekend Get-Away

03082012_2100
Emily left us on Thursday; as much as we are excited for her to go to Japan for the next year (or so), it was hard to see her leave.  We had a blast with her the last two weeks and she will be missed.  Who knows, we may just have to save up our respite hours for a trip to Japan! ;-)

Friday, J and I took of to Steamboat Springs, Colorado.  We spent the weekend just relaxing, sleeping in, going to the hot springs, and catching a movie.  It was wonderful--and much needed.

When we got into our room, we noticed that it did not have a jetted tub, which we specifically paid extra to have, so we went to find out what was going on.  Turns out, there was a misprint on the website, so they upgraded us from a one-bedroom deluxe to a two-bedroom presidential suite!  Whoohoo!  Can't complain about that!

Friday night we went to a local Italian restaurant, which was SO good, and so much food!  We had originally gone to a steakhouse, but it turned out that it was the type of place where you cooked your own food.  Since we were on vacation and wanting to relax, we had no intention of paying $40 per plate and cooking our own meal, so we decided to go somewhere else.  The Italian place we went to was so much better, and there was so much food left over that we were able to make another meal out of it!

Saturday morning we slept in (heavenly!) and since J is a morning person, he was up before me.  He went out and bought some Martinelli's and dessert for that evening, and roses for me.  We went out to brunch then went to Strawberry Hot Springs, where we spent the afternoon.  The hot springs had several pools to soak in, and the river ran alongside on the right.  The river is runoff from the snow, so it was very cold.  J kept trying to get me to go in, so I told him I would go in if he did.  Sure enough, he did and swam to the other side, which meant that I had to go in as well.  It was SO cold, especially after being in the hot water of the hot springs!
 03102012_2119
The big muddy brown water is the river, not the springs.  The river is snow runoff and cold!
The weather was beautiful.  It was so warm that a jacket was not needed and we had beautiful sunny skies.  We had a blast at the hot springs and thought about staying past sunset, but then it becomes adults only and clothing optional, which we had no desire to be around for that! 
DSC_0001   
Yep, that is me with my back to the camera, dipping my legs into the springs
DSC_0008  
One of the upper pools.  We spent time in each pool--five or six in total.  So fun!

Saturday evening was spent in downtown Steamboat Springs.  We wandered the shops and just enjoyed the beautiful weather.

We forgot about daylight savings and were surprised when the alarm went off at "4:30" signaling that it was time to get up Sunday morning.  Luckily our phones changed and we were able to leave on time.  Unfortunately, even though we were ahead of schedule, we missed a turnoff and ended up losing 45 minutes, which put us getting home about 20 minutes late.  I have been wanting to get a GPS device ever since we borrowed J's parents while we were in Georgia (we didn't have cell signal in the area we missed the turn, so that wasn't an option), and now it is on my must-have list.  For those who know me, you know I get lost pretty easily, so I like to have directions on hand. 

Zuri spent the weekend with J's parents, who stayed at our place.  The nurses took care of Kai and all went well except his stitches are starting to come out of his eye.  I think he rubbed his eye and pulled on the stitches just right.  He has been fighting to get his eye open ever since they closed it, so it doesn't surprise me that he is finding a way.  He had an appointment this week to get the stitches out anyway so it isn't too bad.  I tried calling his optometrist today but he wasn't in.  Hopefully all is well with his eye.  From what I can see, there is quite a bit of scarring, but we will find out more (and our options) when we see the doctor this week. 
DSC_0125
I got a picture of a smile--it was the tail-end of the smile, but I got it!

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you guys had an enjoyable time in Colorado-- you both really needed it!!!!
    I will miss you all greatly; I had a lot of fun while there. We will have to Skype often. I love you. Please give my love to everyone.
    I cannot wait to see the pictures of Jeremy with the stitches out. I bet he will be so relieved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Japan, many people go to the hot springs in in winter. The air is cold, but water is very warm. I love to be in the hot springs. Oh, but we don't wear anything. lol

    I hope we can see Jeremy's smile a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you and Josh were able to have a getaway! Jeremy is so cute I LOVE that picture of his smile!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews